Director of Evans Public Services (AskUs Services): Position Description
WORK UNIT: User Services
REPORTS TO: Dean
The Director serves as a member of the Libraries’ management team and is responsible for planning, implementing, assessing, and promoting a wide array of both onsite and virtual public services for the Sterling C. Evans Library and Annex (Evans Library). The Director leads approximately 35 FTE staff members, one faculty member, and student workers in the provision of AskUs Services within the Evans and Evans Annex buildings. AskUs Services includes consolidated service points for circulation and basic information, media and reserves services, and building safety operations. The Director also coordinates the provision of on-site reference services for Evans Library and virtual reference services for the Libraries. The Director works collaboratively with the leaders from across the Libraries to ensure high-quality customer services and support for all members of the Texas A&M community.
Possible subject librarian duties for this position will be determined in accordance with the candidate’s expertise and/or prior experience, as well as organizational needs.
- Directs the activities and programs of the Public Services unit; assesses effectiveness; manages budgets for equipment, supplies, and student wages.
- Oversees the operations of three physical service points across Evans Library, including nights, weekends, and 24-hour services in Evans Annex, as well as one virtual service point:
- AskUs Service Desks (Evans and Evans Annex buildings)
- Media and Reserves (Evans Annex building)
- AskUs virtual information services (chat/text, email, FAQ services)
- Provides direct supervision for five staff members and one faculty member and overall support for all staff and student workers within the unit
- Provides reference and information services with a strong customer service focus
- Participates as a member of the User Services management team and on appropriate campus and library committees
- Participates in scholarly activities and professional service commensurate with TAMU Libraries faculty status requirements.
- Other duties as assigned.