Business Librarian, Assistant Professor
- Provides a full range of information support primarily to the Mays Business School, clients of the West Campus Library, and those wishing to visit the Patent & Trademark Resource Center.
- Participates in collection development, reference, instruction and liaison activities, including the creation of subject and class guides.
- Serves as the subject specialist and liaison to the department of Management, as well as serves as liaison to the MBA, Executive MBA, and Professional MBA programs, as well as the Business Honors program.
Jared Hoppenfeld is originally from Miami, FL where he earned his Bachelor of Business Administration and also had his first work experience in libraries. While attending the University of Miami, Jared worked in the Access Services department first as a student assistant and eventually becoming day shift supervisor of circulation. After going into retail management for Walgreens, Jared went back to libraries, this time at the UM Law Library. He then decided to pursue a Master of Library & Information Science at the University of South Florida in Tampa. There he continued working in libraries, in Access Services, Administration, and eventually as Business Librarian. Jared is currently Business Librarian at the West Campus Library, working as subject specialist for management.
- Completed 6 credit hours in MBA Program
University of South Florida, Tampa, FL
- Master of Arts in Library and Information Science, 2006
University of South Florida, Tampa, FL
- Bachelor of Business Administration, Major: Marketing, 2001
University of Miami, Coral Gables, FL
American Library Association (ALA)
Association of College & Research Libraries (ACRL)
- Instruction Section
- University Libraries Section
Reference and User Services Association (RUSA)
Business Reference and Services Section (BRASS)
- Business Reference in Academic Libraries Committee, 2014-Present
- Education Committee, 2010-2014
- Collection Development and Evaluation Section (CODES)
- Machine Assisted Reference Services Section (MARS)
Reference Services Section (RSS)
- RSS Board Member, 2012-2014
- Virtual Reference Online Tutorial Subcommittee, 2010-2014 (Chair, 2012-2014)
- Business Reference and Services Section (BRASS)
- Library Instruction Roundtable (LIRT)
- Association of College & Research Libraries (ACRL)
Patent & Trademark Resource Center Association (PTRCA)
- Membership and Mentoring Committee, 2014-Present
- Use of technology to improve customer experience
- Library 2.0 technologies
- Library support of entrepreneurs
- Library support of veterans
- Self-sufficiency of students
- Future of libraries: library as place, resource sharing, and more!
- Faculty/student involvement in collection development
- Hoppenfeld, Jared and Michael M. Smith. "Information-Seeking Behaviors of Business Faculty." Journal of Business & Finance Librarianship, 19:1 (2014) 1-14. Available at http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/08963568.2014.852906
- Hoppenfeld, Jared, Trip Wyckoff, Jo Ann J. Henson, Jenna N. Mayotte, and Hal P. Kirkwood Jr. "Librarians and the Entrepreneurship Bootcamp for Veterans: Helping Disabled Veterans With Business Research." Journal of Business & Finance Librarianship, 18:4 (2013) 293-308. Available at http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/08963568.2013.825227
- Hoppenfeld, Jared. "Keeping Students Engaged with Web-Based Polling in the Library Instruction Session." Library Hi Tech. 30:2 (2012) 235-252. Available at http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/07378831211239933
- Hoppenfeld, Jared and Wendi Arant-Kaspar. "Do-It-Yourself for Course Reserves: A Student-Driven Service in an Academic Library." Journal of Interlibrary Loan, Document Delivery & Electronic Reserve, 20:5 (November 2010) 353-361. Available at http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/1072303X.2010.520264
- Powers, Audrey, Cheryl McCoy, Matt Torrence, and Jared Hoppenfeld. "Reconfiguring Collection Development for the Future: A Faculty Print Serials Review." In Charleston Conference Proceedings 2009 held in Charleston, SC, 4 to 7 November 2009. Katina Strauch, Beth Bernhardt, and Leah Hinds eds. Charleston, SC: Against the Grain Press, 2010. p. 186-194. Available at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10601762/2009_CCProceedings_final.pdf
- Hoppenfeld, Jared. "Attending an FLA Conference: Impressions and Tips from a New Librarian." Florida Libraries 52:1 (Spring 2009) 15-16.