Curator of Maps, University Libraries and Cushing Memorial Library and Archives
Liaison to TAMU Geography Department
American Library Association, Map and Geospatial Information Round Table
- Chair/Past-Chair, American Library Association, Map and Geography Round Table, 2010-2011
- ALA Education Assembly, member
Journal of Map & Geography Libraries, Co-Editor
International Association for Social Science Information Services & Technology (IASSIST), member
- GeoHumanities Special Interest Group, co-founder, co-chair, 2013-
Digital Exhibits for Historic Maps and Photos, Map-based interface for geographic content, Digital humanities and GeoHumanities, Gazetteer development, GIS Data Curation, Education for Map and GIS Librarians
Partner on the 19th-Century Concord Digital Archive
Faculty member, Digital Humanities Certificate Program
Faculty Fellowship, Texas A&M University Initiative for Digital Humanities, Media and Culture, 2013-2015
AMIGOS Library Services Fellowship, 2010-2012, "Creating a Map-Based Search Interface for Electronic Theses and Dissertations"
- Weimer, Kathy. "On Defining GeoHumanities," GeoHumanities SIG blog, May 5, 2014.
- Sare, Laura, Miriam Olivares, Katherine H. Weimer. "Integrative Services for Demographic and Geographic Information System (GIS) Data," chapter in The New Academic Librarian (McFarland & Co, 2013).
- Weimer, Katherine H., Miriam Olivares and Robin Bedenbaugh, “GIS Day and Web Promotion: Retrospective Analysis of U.S ARL Libraries Involvement,” Journal of Map & Geography Libraries 8(1) 2012: 39-57.
- Weimer, Katherine H. “The Founding of ALA’s Map and Geography Round Table : Looking Back to See the Future,” MAGIRT Electronic Series #11 (2011) 18 pp.
- Weimer, Katherine H. "Cartography, GIS and Imagery.’ In: Magazines for Libraries, 17th, 19th, 21st eds. Cheryl LaGuardia, editor. New Providence, NJ: Bowker, 2009, 2011, 2013.
Map and Geography Round Table Education Committee, Kathy Weimer, compiler and lead editor; chief editor, Paige Andrew; associate editor, Tracey Hughes. Map, GIS and Cataloging/Metadata Librarian Core Competencies (2008) 22 pages.
Weimer, Katherine H. et al. “Access and Preservation of Scientific and Cartographic Literature Using an Institutional Repository: USGS’s Geologic Atlas of the United States in DSpace” Documents to the People, 34(4)Winter 2006:20-24.
Weimer, Katherine H. and Pete Reehling. “A New Model of Geographic Information Librarianship: Description, Curriculum and Program Proposal”. Journal of Education for Library and Information Science 47(4) Fall 2006:291-302.
Weimer, Katherine H., Laura Lillard, Wendi Arant and David Mitchell. “Security and Access to CD-ROMs Accompanying Books: Data and Recommendations” Library Resources & Technical Services 44:4 (October 2000):30-37.
Weimer, Katherine H. “Subject Analysis for Cartographic Materials,” Cataloging & Classification Quarterly 27:3/4 (1999):385-404.
Tenner, Elka and Katherine H. Weimer. “Reference Service for Maps: Access and the Catalog Record,” Reference & User Services Quarterly 38:2 (Winter 1998): 181-86.
- Weimer, Katherine. Curator and Project Lead. Geologic Atlas of the United States Digital Edition. http://repository.tamu.edu/handle/1969.1/2490/
- Weimer, Katherine. Curator and Project Lead. Historic Maps of Cuba http://repository.tamu.edu/handle/1969.1/86434
- Weimer, Katherine. Curator and Project Director. Mapping Historic Aggieland. http://library.tamu.edu/maps-gis/historicaggieland
- Weimer, Katherine H. "Building a Gazetteer: Time and Place Within the Library Catalog" DH 2014, Lausanne, Switzerland, July 8, 2014.
- Olivares, Miriam, Sierra Laddusaw, Naga Raghuveer Modala, Katherine H. Weimer, "Mapping Historic Aggieland: Unveiling the Spatial History of a University Through Web Mapping" [poster] Esri User Conference, San Diego, CA, July 14, 2014.
- Weimer, Kathy and Miriam Olivares. "Providing a Spatial Context for Library and Archival Colections: Mapping Historic Aggieland" Texas Conference on Digital Libraries, May 2014.
- Weimer, Katherine H. "Networking Place in Digital Humanities with Gazetteers, GIS and Hsitoric Maps: The Library's Role," TXDHC, Texas Digital Humanities Consortium Inaugural Conference, April 12, 2014.
- Weimer, Kathy. " GeoHumanities and Spatial Thinking with Map and GIS Librarians" in session, 'Careers and Collaborations: Partnerships in Archives, Data Centers and Libraries,' Association of American Geographers Annual Conference, Tampa, FL, April 8, 2014.
- Weimer, Katherine. Panelist, "Digital Humanites Round Table" 2014 HGSO/PAT Conference, College Station, Texas, March 29, 2014.
- Weimer, Katherine and Miriam Olivares. "Curating GIS Data: Collaborations Between University Libraries and Local Governmenal Agencies," [poster] IDCC2014, International Data Curation Conference, San Francisco, CA, Feb. 24, 2014.
- Weimer, Katherine H. and Bruce E. Herbert. Bringing Historic Maps to Life: Georeferencing for the Digital Globe to Suport Interdisciplinary Scholarship. [poster] GSA Annual Meeting, Denver, Oct. 2013.
- Weimer, Katherine H. James Creel, Naga Raghuveer Modala and Rohit Gargate, "Mapping Text: Automated Geoparsing and Map Browser for Electronic Theses and Dissertations," Digital Humanities 2013, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, July 2013. Conference Abstracts, pp. 458-461.
- Miriam Olivares and Kathy Weimer, “Storytelling Campus History through Mapping of Archival Collections” 2013 Esri International User Conference, San Diego, CA, July 9, 2013.
- Miriam Olivares and Kathy Weimer, “Journey from ‘Map Room’ to GIS Library: Lessons Learned” 2013 Esri International User Conference, San Diego, CA, July 9, 2013.
- Creel, James and Katherine Weimer, “Toponym Extraction and Resolution in a Digital Library,” ACM/IEEE Joint Conference on Digital Libraries, Washington, DC, June 10-14, 2012. Poster Presentation.
Weimer, Katherine H. and James Creel. “Spatial Representation and Visualization of Theses and Dissertations: A Web-based Mapping Tool for Graduate Scholarship,” Association of American Geographers Annual Conference, New York, NY, February 2012. Paper.
Weimer, Katherine H. “A Career Alternative for the Geography Graduate: Geographic Information Manager or Map Librarian,” Association of American Geographers Annual Conference, Seattle, April 2011, in panel, “Educating a Workforce Literate in Cyberinfrastructure.”
Weimer, Katherine H. "Management and Promotion of Digitization Projects: The Geologic Atlas of the United States." SAIL 2011 (regional conference of the International Association of Aquatic and Marine Science Libraries and Information Centers), Galveston, TX, April 7, 2011. Invited speaker.
Mandel, Lauren H. and Katherine H. Weimer. “Necessary Skills for Map and GIS Librarians: Job Descriptions to Inform LIS Curriculum.” Works-in-Progress Poster Presentation. Association of Library and Information Science Educators, Boston, Jan. 14, 2010.
Weimer, Kathy. “Historic Maps Come Alive: Research in Geospatial Visualization and Access using Google Earth and Yahoo!Map.” SAA (Society of American Archivists) Research Forum ‘Foundations and Innovations,’ Austin, Texas, Aug. 11, 2009.
Jay Koenig, Kathy Weimer, Susan Goodwin, and Lisa Furubotten, “Marketing Evolving Scholarly Communication: Promoting the Institutional Repository to the University Community.” Juried Presentation. FORO 2009 XV, Transborder Library Forum, Tijuana, Mexico, March 4-6, 2009.
Weimer, Katherine H., Pete Reehling, Bradley Wade Bishop, “Charting a Course for Geographic Information Studies, Map and Spatial Data Librarianship Curriculum: Core Competencies and Collaboration.” Poster Presentation. Association of Library and Information Science Educators, Denver, CO, January 20, 2009.
Weimer, Kathy. "Open Access and Maps: Institutional Repositories and Digital Collections," Geosciences Information Society Annual Meeting. Houston, TX, Oct. 6, 2008. Invited speaker.
Weimer, Kathy. “DSpace as a Repository for Map and GIS resources: A Case Study and Overview of Issues.” Poster Presentation. ACRL Science and Technology Section for ALA Annual, Washington, DC, June 2007.
Adam Mikeal, Cody Green, Alexey Maslov, Scott Phillips, Kathy Weimer, John Leggett. “Manakin Case Study: Visualizing Geospatial Metadata and Complex Items.” Paper. International Conference on Open Repositories – ‘OR07,’ San Antonio, TX. January 2007.
Weimer Katherine, Rusty Kimball and Brian Surratt, “Digitization of the Geologic Folio of the United States,” Poster Presentation. Geosciences Information Society, Salt Lake City, Oct. 2005.
Weimer, Katherine and Pete Reehling, “Geographic Information Librarianship: A Call for Geographic Information Scholarship in the Library and Information Science Curriculum,” Poster Presentation. Association of Library and Information Science Educators (ALISE) Conference, San Antonio, January 2006.
Honors and Awards
Esri Special Achievement in GIS, 2014, for the Map & GIS Library
TAMU Association of Former Students Distinguished Achievement Award for Librarianship, 2008
TALL Texas (Texas Library Association Leadership Institute), 1999
Beta Phi Mu (International Library Science Honor Society), Inducted 1990