Proxy User Guidelines
The proxy checkout option allows university faculty and staff to authorize other individuals to be able to check out library materials on their library records.
Individuals who may be proxied to faculty or staff:
- Other staff members
- Graduate assistants
- Student workers on special assignment
- Family members (spouse, dependent children)
The sponsoring faculty/staff member will receive any notifications (such as recall or overdue notices) and be responsible for the return of all materials checked out by an authorized proxy.
Faculty/staff members must have a current University ID card (issued after 2004) and provide written authorization to set up any proxy access to their library account. The faculty/staff member can either bring the authorization form/letter to the main service desk at the Evans Library, have someone else deliver it, or send it through campus mail. If the letter is not delivered in person, the library will delay activation until a library staff member can contact the faculty/staff member and verify the proxy authorization.
The authorization letter should contain the following information:
- Faculty/Staff member’s name.
- The Faculty/Staff member’s library account number (which is the TAMU UIN or newer 16 digit encoded TAMU ID number).
- The name and UIN (if available) of the individual being added to the Faculty/Staff member’s account.
- A signed statement of acknowledgement of the Faculty/Staff member’s responsibility for books checked out and fines accrued via the Proxy User option.
When checking out material for the Faculty/Staff member, the proxy user needs to inform the service desk staff that he/she wishes to use the Proxy User option. Otherwise, the item will automatically be checked out to the individual’s student or courtesy user account. The proxy user must provide some form of picture IDand be able to provide other verification information (such as address) or their personal UIN upon request.
Please note: The library does not screen materials from the general collections being checked out by minor family members based on appropriateness of content or subject matter.
All faculty/staff must renew proxy authorization annually.