The bibliographic control of Science Fiction and Fantasy has a long and storied history, from its beginnings in the 1930s to the online tools of today. The works in this collection range from superb productions that serve as best practice standards to quick-and-dirty listings. Virtually all of the entries add a bit to the coverage of the field.
Contact: Jeremy Brett, Cushing Memorial Library & Archives
The Sandy Hereld Collection consists of thousands of digitized images of media fanzines, letterzines, and club newsletters, dating from the late 1960s through materials published online or in print in 2013. The collection is an unparalleled assembly of media fanworks that document generations of fans’ continued creative engagement with media productions meaningful to them. Among the productions chronicled particularly well in the Hereld Collection are: Beauty and the Beast (1987-1990), Blake’s 7, Doctor Who, The Professionals, Star Trek, Star Wars, and Starsky & Hutch. But the collection also contains fanzines relating to numerous other productions, such as the Harry Potter book/movie series, Due South, Miami Vice, Simon & Simon, and many others. Also in the collection are many anthologies of stories from multiple fandoms. The original materials can be viewed at the Cushing Memorial Library & Archives.
The Texas A&M University Yearbook Online Collection begins with the initial 1895 Olio publication. The yearbooks begin annual publication in 1903 and continue through today. The newer editions are planned to be included on this website in future developments. The original yearbooks can be viewed at the Cushing Memorial Library & Archives.
Cushing Memorial Library & Archives maintains an extensive photographic collection of over 300,000 images. The collection continues to grow. These images are in a wide variety of formats and sizes, including negatives on glass plates, post cards, and various early types of prints. The collection is organized by subject and contains a visual representation of nearly every aspect of Texas A&M University’s long and storied past beginning with the opening of the school in 1876. Categories include such subjects as campus views, individual buildings, athletics, research, teaching, student life, members of the faculty, visiting dignitaries, and important events. Most of the photographs were acquired through donation or from various units of the university.
This collection of historical photographs was acquired in the early 1970s from the Agricultural Communications Office of the Texas Agricultural Extension Service. The physical collection consists of nearly 7,000 photographs and a sampling of these items have been digitized and made accessible online. The vast majority of the images are black and white and range from the 1930s through the late 1970s, although some photographs date from earlier and later periods. The images were captured by photographers working throughout the state and document many activities aimed at improving the lives and livelihood of rural Texans. Farming, home improvement, livestock raising, and other programs of the Extension Service were illustrated and the photographs were retained for educational and publicity initiatives.
This collection of historical photographs was acquired in the early 1970s from the Agricultural Communications Office of the Texas Agricultural Extension Service. The physical collection, housed in Cushing Memorial Library & Archives, consists of nearly 7,000 photographs. This subset of the collection illustrates African American farming and community life in Texas from the early 1930s through 1960s. The vast majority of the images are in black and white and document activities such as farming, home improvement, livestock raising, and other programs of the Extension Service.
In the fall of 1927, Raiford L. Stripling (1910-1990) enrolled as a freshman in the department of architecture at the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas. Under the guidance of Samuel Charles Phelps Vosper and Ernest Langford, two distinguished faculty members in the department of architecture, Stripling was schooled in the Beaux Arts tradition, which emphasizes classical design, rigorous attention to fine detailing, and sound construction methods. In 1947 Stripling opened his own practice in his hometown of San Augustine, Texas and over the course of his career he worked on some of Texas’ most significant restoration projects, as well as many single family residences, banks, churches, and schools. In 1990 Raiford L. Stripling passed away, leaving behind a body of work that will contribute significantly to the fields of architecture and architectural history for many years to come. This collection is made up of over 250 projects contained in 24 boxes, as well as drawings and construction documents housed in flat files in one map case. In addition to architectural drawings and blueprints, the collection contains contract documents, correspondence, brochures, pamphlets, newspaper articles, magazine articles, photographs, sketches, drawings, and miscellaneous notes.
Wheelan was one of a legion of newspaper and magazine reporters and photographers who covered the Mexican Revolution. He probably arrived in Northern Mexico early in the winter of 1913-1914. The main attraction was General Francisco (Pancho) Villa, who held Ciudad Juarez, just across the Rio Grande from El Paso, Texas. By this time Villa had the reputation of being the most able military commander among the Constitutionalists, a coalition of revolutionaries in rebellion against the provisional government of General Victoriano Huerta. In February, 1913, Huerta had conspired in the overthrow of the constitutionally elected government of President Francisco Madero. Villa, a devout supporter of Madero, was one of several leaders in Northern Mexico who were fighting for the restoration of constitutional government and for revolutionary reforms.
Contact: Anton duPlessis
A set of 227 folios published by the U.S. Geological Survey between 1894 and 1945. Each folio includes both topographic and geologic maps for each quad represented in that folio, as well as descriptions of the basic and economic geology of the area. The Geologic Atlas collection is maintained by the Map and GIS Library.
Contact: Maps & GIS, Texas A&M Libraries
The Texas A&M University Medical Sciences Library has partnered with Oklahoma State University Libraries to digitize the Index-Catalogue of Medical and Veterinary Zoology, a multilingual periodical published by the US Government Printing Office. This historical compendium of the parasitological literature is a key resource of importance to researchers in re-emerging diseases and global animal health. The compilation of content began in 1892, and resulted in over 100 separate publications comprising over 20,000 pages.
Contact: Medical Sciences Library